Implementation of Atlassian products – case study
McComp operates in the field of automatic business solutions. The company has extensive experience and has been providing services for over 20 years. McComp helps businesses in a wide range of sectors, from energy and hospitality to catering and recreational industries. Their services have been used in over 2,500 petrol stations, as well as over 350 hotels, restaurants, and sports & recreation facilities. Due to the large variety of industries the company covers, we were asked to deliver consulting services focused on the implementation of Atlassian products that would help McComp in the following areas:
- implement a process to support their clients (Jira Service Desk),
- increase the efficiency of their manufacturing process and support,
- improve cooperation and information flow from the support department to other departments,
- write a solution proposal reflecting the structure of McComp’s market, including all of their relationships and dependencies..
The objectives of implementing Atlassian products
The main task of our team was to meet client expectations. We identified 8 main requirements concerning the following aspects of implementation:
- Structure – implementing the operational structure along with the relationships between objects.
- Data import – data import into the created structure from flat files, considering the dependencies.
- Contracts and products – implementation of the contract and product structure, along with the relationship to objects.
- SLA – Implementation based on existing contracts and products
- Priorities – implementation of a matrix on the basis of which the priority is calculated automatically.
- Service Desk – installation and configuration of the Service Desk project in Jira (queues, catalog services, notifications, portal).
- Automation – Creation of notifications in the backlog based on Service Desk notifications, automatic assignment, automatic transfer based on linked issues, direct communication between the manufacturing department and the customer without involving third parties.
- Registered working time – recording the time spent on handling requests together with the reporting mechanism.
We started with the most basic and at the same time, the most important activity – the analysis of initial requirements. As a result, we prepared 150 questions to describe the client’s requirements in detail and conducted a one-day workshop inside the company to learn about business processes and develop a joint vision of the solution. The collected information has been re-analyzed, and on this basis, we have developed a solution and cost estimation. We then divided the entire process into 4 phases, which included the installation and three implementation phases. The next stages were to be implementation, testing, and reception.
Problems during implementation
During the entire process, we encountered three main difficulties. The first was a lack of standard solutions in Jira, which made implementing all the required functionalities difficult. Therefore, it was necessary to install and configure extensions. In addition, a version change in one of the extensions caused a change in the operation of one of the used functionalities. The last complication was Jira’s performance issues on the background network.
The Atlassian tools used
In addition to the installation of Jira Service Desk and Software, we used the extensions shown in the list below. The main extensions we used were Insight – Asset Management for Jira and Tempo Timesheets.
Stages of implementing Atlassian products
The first step was to become familiar with the current object types, relationships, and data types in the customer’s facilities:
Then we moved the object types to Insight:
In the next step, we created relationships between the objects that remained categorized:
Each type of object received a dedicated set of attributes:
The next step was to collect data on objects to flat files and create dedicated imports:
Each import had a unique mapping:
Implementation of automation
Thanks to the Automation extension, we were able to implement the rules that helped increase the efficiency of teams:
Additionally, in order to automate selected processes, we used the automation module embedded in the Jira SD project:
The effects of implementing Atlassian products
- The client has received a modern tool suite, thanks to which the company can provide its customers with the highest quality of service.
- The tool is the main contact point for users.
- Jira is not only a notification management tool but also a platform for managing market structure, relationships that reflect processes, and reporting, on things such as working time.
- The tool is flexible and open to further development.