To deliver on their brand promise, organizations often have to initiate a profound shift in how they do business and how their IT teams work. To deliver personal and helpful customer service, teams need to be more collaborative, iterative, adaptive to change, and customer-centric.
That’s why enterprises focus on breaking down silos and encourage cross-team communication. Most of the time, to accomplish that they rely on an existing framework – the agile methodology.
At Deviniti, we believe that agile is the future. Enterprises that invest in building an agile IT organization can beat the competition in terms of customer experience.
We help our clients unlock the potential of this framework and drive agile transformations in IT teams.
One of the critical roles of IT teams is providing service support for when things go wrong, answering questions, handling requests for changes, updates, or new technology. They also need to make sure things are operating smoothly, handle any incidents that arise, and proactively plan for any potential disruptions.
In this article, we take a closer look at how service and operations can improve with the help of the Atlassian tool Jira Service Desk combined with two handy extensions: OpsGenie and Statuspage.
What is OpsGenie and why do teams need it?
The tool allows teams to synchronize Jira issues with Opsgenie and thereby streamline the process of creating Jira issues from alerts generated in a monitoring tool or other system. Opsgenie keeps all Jira issues up to date, and teams can be sure that all the related alerts are updated in the tool.
How does Opsgenie work for Jira users?
Opsgenie sets up a bi-directional integration between itself and Jira. Teams can use that integration to have their Jira instance send issues to Opsgenie, together with detailed information. Opsgenie can also forward alerts to Jira as issues. The tool will determine the right people to notify based on the on-call schedules and then get in touch with them via email, text messages, phone calls, and iOS and Android push notifications. OpsGenie can also escalate an alert until it’s acknowledged or closed.
Benefits of OpsGenie for IT teams
- Smooth workflow – teams can use OpsGenie to manage all Jira issues and corresponding alerts in a single tool. They can easily assign, update, and close Jira issues automatically from OpsGenie, streamlining their workflow.
- Shorter response time – IT teams can accelerate incident response with the help of OpsGenie’s rich notifications feature. These notifications are available for all Jira issues and include rotations, on-call schedules, and escalations. Your team can make sure that the right alert is transmitted to the right person, every time.
- Coordinating incident response – using OpsGenie, teams can forward alerts and incidents to various collaboration tools, for example, Slack, or MS.
- Flexible notifications – notify the right team members about incidents in a wide range of methods: phone call, SMS, email, and even iOS and Android push notifications.
Example use cases
- When a team member creates or reopens an issue in Jira, OpsGenie will automatically generate an alert on its basis thanks to the integration. There’s no need for your team to create such alerts manually.
- When an issue is closed, resolved, or fixed in Jira, OpsGenie will automatically close the related alert. This helps teams save time on manual alert closing.
- When a team member adds a comment to a Jira issue, they can be sure that a note is added to the related alert in Opsgenie.
- If you enable Send Alert Updates Back to Jira, you can be sure that specific actions are executed in Jira when a given action is performed in Opsgenie for alerts created through the Jira integration. And if Create Jira Issues for Opsgenie Alerts is enabled, the team can benefit from this: actions for Jira will be executed in Jira when a specific action is executed in Opsgenie – for alerts that come from another source than the Jira integration.
What is Statuspage and why do teams need it?
Statuspage is a specialized extension IT teams can connect with their incident management toolset to ensure fast response and provide high-quality customer service. This handy integration helps to keep customers updated during each incident phase. Moreover, the tool works with the leading alerting, monitoring, and ChatOps tools on the market.
Benefits of Statuspage for Jira users
- Accelerating the process – the integration of Statuspage with monitoring and alerting tools ensures that they all communicate quickly, as soon as an issue is detected.
- Wide range of integrations with monitoring tools – Statuspage can be integrated with Pingometer, New Relic, Datadog, and Pingdom.
- Availability of alerting tool integrations – teams can integrate Statuspage with Opsgenie, PagerDuty, xMatters, or VictorOps. That’s how they can update status directly from your alerting app.
- Automate updates through API or email – teams can use the Statuspage API to writing their own integration for updating the status page. They can also automatically update the status of components by taking advantage of email with a subject line containing the words “UP” or “DOWN.”
- Automate Twitter updates – perfect for teams that use Twitter for customer communication. They can use automate updates directly from Statuspage.
- Integrations with support tools – you can embed status in tools your teams use to support customers such as Jira Service Desk, Zendesk, and Intercom. That’s how your team can avoid dealing with duplicate tickets.
Example use cases
- If your team uses Slack, you can easily connect it to Statuspage and keep everyone in sync during incident response.
- To help your team communicate with customers more efficiently, organizations can use the Status Embed function. This feature allows displaying active incidents and scheduled maintenance, where customers will surely see it. Your team can position these widgets on the page, choose their colors then copy, and then paste auto-generated code into your website or application.
- To build trust with your customers, your team can use Statuspage to display system metrics and show how reliable you are. It’s easy to connect your page with the monitoring tool and set it to display the metrics your team is proud of on the page. Moreover, you can create custom metrics through our API.
The combination of OpsGenie and Statuspage with Jira Service Desk is a recipe for your team’s success. These tools are well-integrated and provide IT teams with a productive ecosystem of features they need in their daily work to deliver fantastic customer service.
Are you looking for experts who would help you integrate your Jira Service Desk with these and other useful tools? Get in touch with our consultants; we help companies make the most of Atlassian tools with dedicated apps and extensions.