IT support team usually works with a software development team in two situations. The first one is the implementation of new services. The second one is maintaining them. The latter cooperation takes place as part of the problem management process, which can sometimes be difficult due to information flow disturbances.
Currently, we can install the Jira Software module at one instance of Jira, which will be used by the production teams and Jira Service Desk for IT support staff. With proper configuration, we can forward entries between these two teams.
Unfortunately, the solution has its limitations because it is not possible for one project in Jira to support Software and Service Desk equally. That’s because of the limitations in the application itself and the associated licensing model. If we want the communication to flow easily between teams, a compromise should be found.
The most popular solutions used in these circumstances are as follows:
- The production team includes issues from the second project in its work through the preparation of appropriate filters and dashboards, handling these issues in their processes. Communication is usually carried out using internal comments, available in the Jira Service Desk module;
- The IT team duplicates the issues in the manufacturing project. It links them with the source report and then monitors the progress of work in a predetermined manner or waits for feedback from the teams. You can also apply filters, dashboard or filter subscriptions;
- Both teams work on their project while sending information is done automatically using scripts or apps such as IssueSYNC.
We believe that the third option is the most beneficial and effective. However, today, we would like to propose one more solution. This is a more advanced method where we’re going to use the IssueSYNC synchronization app to connect two instances of Jira to each other. One will be dedicated to the Service Desk, the other under the Software.
However, before two separate Jira applications are created, we must divide them. The most important information and advantages of this solution can be found here.
The cooperation method between the IT support team and the software development team proposed by us offers several advantages you need to review before making a decision.
Improving the availability of Jira Service Desk
One of the key arguments for our solution is the ability to provide greater accessibility to Jira Service Desk. If there’s a problem with the availability of this Software, in the worst-case scenario it may disrupt the provision of support service or, in a slightly better scenario, prolonged implementation and possibly exceeding the SLA times.
What can help to increase the availability of a dedicated Jira Service Desk instance?
- Separation of two configurations – reducing the chance of making a change to the global configuration of Jira, which by negligence may affect the service design board.
- Independent upgrades – some employees are eager for new functionalities, and others prefer stability. We limit the number of necessary upgrades, which mostly involve unavailability and may cause problems.
- Preferred environmental parameters – each Jira instance can be configured differently at the system level and in relation to global configurations. In addition, it can be hosted and branded differently.
- The possibility of hosting in a different location – it may be the case that the users for whom the Customer Portal is built are located in different countries than other employees. With this method, we can install the environment where the response speed is the most important factor in improving the user experience.
- Launching Jira Service Desk not as a server, but in the Jira Cloud version – the accessibility is now an issue delegated to Atlassian. Such a change is often possible due to the smaller needs of the support team as to customization or specific apps.
- Launching the Jira Service Desk as a Data center – to increase the availability and handle a large number of requests and users, including performance.
Security of information systems
In addition to IT specialists, Jira is also used by such departments as HR, administration, or finance. Just like other teams, they care about data security. For that reason, they prefer to keep their workplace be behind a firewall that prevents attacks and information leaks through configuration errors. If you want to keep Jira Software safe and at the same time have a connection to the Jira Service Desk, the only possible solution is to separate the instance. That way, the Service Desk is made public and can be used to handle external requests, all the while we protect the second instance and limit the risk only to service or support advertisements.
Improve application performance
Oftentimes, projects in an organization require complex configurations or significant customizations such as additional custom fields or complex flows. Such changes can be problematic when applied to one instance because they can affect the overall performance and stability of Jira. The Jira instance split solves this problem. Performing such a configuration can significantly increase the work efficiency. Thanks to a less busy instance, Jira Service Desk users can respond faster to requests and solve problems, which in turn increases the satisfaction of those involved in the process.
Faster handling of requests at Jira Service Desk
Even a potentially small Service Desk with, for example, 50 agents does not guarantee a linear increase in the number of licenses. Actually, the number of created and supported issues is significant, and that parameter is influenced by:
- the number of end-users, requesters;
- the number of processes and services implemented;
- portal optimization like self-service – that is, a database of articles that allow you to solve the problem yourself;
- the number of email channels served;
- issues created by machines (for example, by the REST API) to notify about unavailability or exceptions in services.
All of that means that even with a relatively small number of agents, the instance’s load can be significant.
Let’s assume that the number of applications per month is up to 30,000. In that situation, sharing server resources with other teams, processes, and plugins can be problematic. With such a scale of submissions, the support team must have its own dedicated instances. Thanks to that, the efficiency and speed of solving problems will improve.
The most important element in the separation of the Jira Service Desk instance
The solution proposed by us will bring the expected benefits only with the use of IssueSYNC. This product that allows you to synchronize selected data in real time.
There are several ways to increase the performance of Jira Service Desk effectively. Which is the right one for your organization? That depends on your needs. At Deviniti, we have experience in all kinds of solutions implementation, so if you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact us.